Audio-Technica AT4050 / CM5
Multi-pattern Condenser Microphone
As low as $10.07 per day
Our crew regularly reach for a reserved few in terms of work-horse microphones. You can bet that the Audio-Technica AT4050 is on the list. Possibly the only condenser microphone you will ever need, the Audio-Technica AT4050 large diaphragm condenser microphone is in a class all its own. This microphone seems to perfectly express any sound you throw at it. For the price, I can't imagine a microphone more suited for having a belt-loop holster attachment welded to its frame. Need to mic a grand piano? Perfect. Got a nasal and pinched vocal you’re working with? No problem. The AT4050 delivers! There’s just something magical about this microphone that makes it a household word within our team.
Let’s start by looking at its three switchable polar patterns. Standard on this type of microphone? Maybe. But other models and manufacturers sometimes introduce this feature as an afterthought and flipping that switch can result in a severe degradation in sound quality. Not the case with the AT4050. Now consider this along with its high SPL and beautiful, airy high and mid wavelengths. Audio-Technica spared no expense in giving you a state-of-the-art, dual large diaphragm microphone with gold-vaporized quality that goes through an aging process to ensure consistency across the AT4050 model range. We know what you’re thinking… DIY stereo patterns! We couldn’t agree more. Why place one microphone when you can get twice the sound from a pair of microphones, even though they were never stereo matched at the assembly plant. If you’re an acoustic guitar player, we recommend you hear the Blumlein Pattern effect at least once before you retire. It’s just breathtaking. The AT4050 is our favorite microphone for unmatched stereo recording.
Whether you’re recording mono or stereo, you will not be disappointed by what the AT4050 can give your mixes. This microphone works well with just about any sound source. We even recommend this microphone for field recording and sound FX. We’ve tested it on nearly everything we can think of and our success stories have placed this model in our top 5 favorite go-to microphones for over a decade. We’re sure you’ll feel the same way. In fact, you may be reluctant to return it!
Ideal for studio use and live sound productions with vocals, piano, strings, drum overheads, guitar amps, and more.
- Transparent uppers/mids balanced by rich low-end qualities combine with advanced acoustic engineering for extensive performance capabilities and highest quality
- Dual-diaphragm capsule design maintains precise polar pattern definition across the full frequency range of the microphone
- The 2-micron-thick, vapor-deposited gold diaphragms undergo a five-step aging process so that the optimum characteristics achieved remain constant over years of use
- Three switchable polar patterns: omni, cardioid, figure-of-eight
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low-frequency distortion and provides superior correlation of high-speed transients
- State-of-the-art surface-mount electronics ensure compliance with A-T's stringent consistency and reliability standards
- Switchable 80 Hz hi-pass filter and 10 dB pad
- Custom shock mount provides superior isolation